There are some distinguishing characteristics to the Integral Style of Hatha Yoga that is taught in our yoga teacher training course.
* yoga should be energizing and help you to feel relaxed and at ease for the day, not exhausted
* we practice classical postures that have specific benefits and are helpful for meditation
* this practice teaches you how to sit still and train the mind to control the body
* by longer held postures, you have time to notice the patterns in the mind
* anybody can do these poses
* practicing slower at times can allow for the internal feelings to be noticed thus deeper changes occur
* awareness of body brings about changes in awareness of eating habits and thus helps in weight loss or management
* intelligent sequences of poses
* emphasis is on therapeutics, maintenance and the internal physiology of organs and body systems (not just muscles and ligaments)
* we teach breathing exercises and meditation from day 1
* no overuse of same muscles groups
* breathing is always regulated, deep and appreciated in the practice
* we use “OM” and other sound healing techniques to work on the mind/body
Here is Alan Finger speaking at the National Institute of Health on the purpose of Hatha Yoga.
Get tips straight to your inbox and become a better yogi